Dr. Thomas has published in several prestigious journals including:
Books and monographs published:
- Thomas E and Schiff ER: Cold Springs Harbor Monographs: Viral Hepatitis. Eds. Christoph Seeger and Stephen Locarnini, Solicited Book Chapter, Introduction: History of Viral Hepatitis. 2014.
- Antunez-De-Mayolo A, Antunez-De-Mayolo G, Thomas E, Reategui EP, Brown MD and Herrera, RJ:
Chapter 15-Worldwide Distribution of a Polymormphic Alu Insertion in the Progesterone Receptor Gene. Genomic Diversity–Applications in Human Population Genetics. Eds. Surinder Singh Papiha, Ranjan Deka, Ranajit Chakraborty, 1999.
Juried or refereed journal articles or exhibitions: *Denotes Co-1st Author
- Thomas E and Liang TJ: The Role of Interferons in the Treatment of HCV in the Era of Oral Antivirals. Solicited Review. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. In Preparation.
- Thomas E and Liang TJ: Experimental models for viral hepatitis – new insights and progress. Solicited Review. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology. In Preparation.
- Yoneda M, Thomas E, Schiff ER: Decrease in Liver Stiffness due to Congestive Liver Disease Following Pericardectomy for Constrictive Pericarditits. Clinical Case Report. Internal Medicine. In Press.
- Yoneda M, Sclair S, Thomas E, Schiff ER: Supersonic Shear Imaging and Transient Elastography XL probe in Obese patients with Chronic Liver Disease, Submitted to Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- Roman Y, Fujita K, Koh C, Maeder D, Nestlerode C, Thomas E, Kleiner DE, Zmuda JM, O’Brien TR, Sanyal AJ, Liang TJ and the NASH-CRN: HSD17B13 and RORA are Novel Genes Contributing to the Histological Severity of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Submitted to Journal of Clinical Investigation.
- Noureddin M, Rotman Y, Zhang F, Thomas E and Liang TJ: Treatment Response, IL28B Genotype and Hepatic Expression of Interferons and Interferon-Stimulated Genes in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C. Genes and Immunity. In Press.
- Thomas JM, Pos Z, Wang RY, Wang E, Reinboth J, Frank GM, Lusso P, Trinchieri G, Alter HJ, Marincola FM and Thomas E: Differential Responses of Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells to Distinct Viral Pathogens. Journal of Virology. August 2014.
- Mansourian PG, Rao MK, Martinez FJ, Thomas E and Schiff ER: Effects of Statins on the Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Gastroenterology and Hepatology, July 2014.
- Li Q, Zhang YY, Hu Z, Lan KH, Cha H, Chiu S, Pène V, Hsu CS, Thomas E and Liang TJ: Systems Biology of Host Dependencies Identifies Novel Pathways Required for Complete Hepatitis C Virus Life Cycle. Plos. Pathogens. 2014 May 22 (Epub)
- Yoneda M, Thomas E, Sumida Y, Imajo K, Eguchi Y, Hyogo H, Fujii H, Ono M, Kawaguchi T, Schiff ER: Clinical usage of serum ferritin to assess liver fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Proceed with caution. Hepatol Res. 2014 Dec; 44(14): 499-502.
- Brownell J, Bruckner J, Wagoner J, Thomas E, Gale M, Liang TJ and Polyak S: Direct, Interferon-Independent Activation of the CXCL10 Promoter by NF-κB and IRF3 During Hepatitis C Virus Infection. Journal of Virology. 2013 Nov 20 (Epub).
- Noureddin M, Wright EC, Zhao X, Clark S, Thomas E, Chen R, Alter H, Kleiner D, Hoofnagle JH, Liang TJ and Ghany MG: Association of IL28B Genotype with Fibrosis Progression and Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C: A Longitudinal Analysis. Hepatology. 2013 May 23 (Epub).
- Mansourian PG, Ghany MG and Thomas E: Spontaneous Mutations in the HBV Genome and their Clinical Implications. Current Hepatitis Reports. 2013 April 21 Vol. 12, Num. 2 (Epub).
- Rotman Y, Noureddin M, Feld JJ, Guedj J, Witthaus M, Han H, Park YJ, Park SH, Heller T, Ghany MG, Doo E, Koh C, Abdalla A, Gara N, Sarkar S, Thomas E, Ahlenstiel G, Edlich B, Titerence R, Hogdal L, Rehermann B, Dahari H, Perelson A, Hoofnagle JH and Liang TJ: Effect of Ribavirin on Viral Kinetics and Liver Gene Expression in Chronic Hepatitis C. GUT. 2013 Feb. 8 (Epub).
- Thomas E, Ghany MG and Liang TJ: The Application and Mechanism of Action of Ribavirin in Therapy of HCV. Antiviral Chemistry and Chemotherapy. 2012 Sep 25;23(1):1-12.
- Thomas E, Gonzalez VD, Modi AA, Chen W, Noureddin M, Rotman Y and Liang TJ: Robust Induction of Type III Interferons and other Cytokines Defines a Unique Pattern of Innate Immunity to HCV Infection. Gastroenterology 2012 Apr; 142(4):978-88.
- Thomas E: Genome-Wide Association Studies: “SNPing” Away at Liver Disease. Gastroenterology & Hepatology. June 2011, Vol. 7, Issue 6, Pages: 407-409.
- Thomas E, Feld JJ, Li Q, Hu Z, Fried MW and Liang TJ: Ribavirin Potentiates Interferon Action by Augmenting Interferon-Stimulated Gene Induction in HCV Cell Culture Models. Hepatology. 2011 Jan;53(1):32-41
- Feld JJ, Modi AA, El-Diwani R, Rotman Y, Thomas E, Koh C, Cherepanov V, Heller T, Ghany MG, Park Y, Hoofnagle JH and Liang TJ: S-adenosyl methionine improves early viral kinetics and interferon stimulated gene induction by the combination of peginterferon and ribavirin in previous hepatitis C genotype 1 non-responders. Gastroenterology. 2011 Mar;140(3):830-9.
- Afdhal NH and Pharmacogenetics and Hepatitis C Meeting Participants: Hepatitis C pharmacogenetics: state of the art in 2010. Hepatology. 2011 Jan; 53 336-45.
- Kremer M, Thomas E, Milton RJ, Perry AW, van Rooijen N, Wheeler MD, Zacks S, Fried MW, Rippe RA and Hines IN: Kupffer cell and interleukin-12-dependent loss of natural killer T cells in hepatosteatosis. Hepatology. Volume 51, Issue 1, January 2010, Pages: 130-141.
- Thomas E and Fried MW: Hepatitis C: Current Options for Nonresponders to Peginterferon and Ribavirin. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2008 Feb;10(1):53-9.
- Balachandran S*, Thomas E* and Barber GN: A FADD-Dependent Innate Immune Mechanism in Mammalian Cells. Nature. 2004 Nov 18; 432 (7015).
- Thomas E and Herrera RJ: Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction of Alu Polymorphic Insertions. Electrophoresis. 1998 Oct; 19(14):2373-9.
- Gallo JC*, Thomas E*, Novick GE and Herrera RJ: Effects of Subpopulation Structure on Probability Calculations of DNA Profiles from Forensic PCR Analysis. Genetica. 1997; 101:1-12.
- Duncan G, Thomas E, Gallo JC, Baird LS, Garrison G and Herrera RJ: Human Phylogenetic Relationships According to the D1S80 locus. Genetica. 1996-97;98(3):277-87.
Other works, publications and abstracts:
- Yoneda M, Thomas E, Sumida Y and Schiff ER: The Influence of Menopause on the Development of Hepatic Fibrosis in Non-obese Women with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Letter to Editor Submitted to Hepatology.
- Yoneda M, Thomas E and Schiff ER: New vistas of comparison of the various elastographic methods which refer transient elastography. Letter to Editor Submitted to Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology.
- Thomas E and Liang TJ: HCV infection induces robust expression of chemokines and type III interferons through IRF3 and NFkappaB signaling in primary human hepatocytes. Abstract, FOCIS 2013, Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. June 27-30, 2013.
- Thomas E, Noureddin M, Rotman Y and Liang TJ: Mechanism of induction and genotype-phenotype correlation of IL28B and ISG expression in HCV-infected primary human hepatocytes and liver. Abstract, Immunology 2013, AAI Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii. May 3-7, 2013.
- Noureddin M, Thomas E, Rotman Y and Liang TJ: Hepatic expressions of interferons types I, II & III, interferon stimulated genes (ISGs) and IL28B genotypes and treatment response in hepatitis C. Abstract, The Liver Meeting 2012, AASLD Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. November 9-12, 2012.
- Thomas E and Liang TJ: HCV infection induces a unique hepatic innate immune response associated with robust production of type III interferons. Abstract, Cytokines 2012, ISICR Annual Meeting, Geneva, Switzerland. September 11-14, 2012.
- Thomas E, Gonzalez VD, Li Q, Modi AA, Chen W, Noureddin M, Rotman Y, T and Liang TJ: A robust induction of type III interferons and chemokines defines a unique pattern of hepatic response to Hepatitis C Virus infection. Abstract, HEP DART: Frontiers in drug development for viral hepatitis 2011. Kauai, Hawaii. December 4-8, 2011.
- Thomas E, Gonzalez VD, Li Q, Modi AA, Chen W, Noureddin M, Rotman Y, T and Liang TJ: Robust induction of type III interferons and other cytokines defines a unique pattern of innate immunity in response to Hepatitis C Virus infection. Abstract, Hepatitis C Virus 2011, HCV Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. September 8-12, 2011.
- Thomas E, Li Q, and Liang TJ: Towards the identification of genes involved in the antiviral activity of ribavirin against HCVcc. Abstract, Hepatitis C Virus 2010, HCV Annual Meeting, Yokohama, Japan. September 10-14, 2010.
- Thomas E, Li Q, and Liang TJ: Characterization of Gene Induction and Antiviral Effects on HCVcc infection following Ribavirin, Interferon and Poly I/C Stimulation. Abstract, Hepatitis C Virus 2009, HCV Annual Meeting, Nice, France. October 3-7, 2009.
- Thomas E, Hu Z, Feld JJ and Liang TJ: A Novel Innate Immune Antiviral Mechanism of Action of Ribavirin is Linked to the Efficacy of Combination Therapy for Hepatitis C. Abstract, 13th International Symposium on Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease, Washington, DC. March 20-24, 2009.
Conference Oral Presentations:
- 2014 HIV DART-Frontiers in Drug Development for Antiviral Therapy, Biennial Meeting, Miami, FL
- 2014 National Center For AIDS Research (CFAR) Annual Meeting, Providence, Rhode Island.
- 2011 Recent Advances in Interferon Biology, NIH, Bethesda, MD
- 2011 The Liver Meeting (AASLD), San Francisco, CA
- 2011 18th International Symposium on Hepatitis C Virus and Related Viruses, Seattle, WA
- 2010 International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research, Chicago, USA
- 2010 17th International Symposium on Hepatitis C Virus and Related Viruses, Two Oral Presentations,
- 2009 The Liver Meeting (AASLD), Boston, MA
- 2009 16th International Symposium on Hepatitis C Virus and Related Viruses Nice, France
- 2009 Inter. Soc. of Viral Hepatitis and Liver Diseases, Washington, DC
- 2008 International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research Montreal, Canada
- 2008 15th International Symposium on Hepatitis C Virus and Related Viruses, San Antonio, TX
- 2008 NIH Immunology Retreat, Gettysburg PA
- 2014 Department of Pediatrics Seminar, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
- 2014 Department of Pharmacology Seminar, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
- 2014 Florida International University Crusada Seminar Series, Miami, FL
- 2014 Grand Rounds, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
- 2014 Grand Rounds, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO.
- 2013 NIDA Clinical Trials Network Grant Planning Meeting, Miami, FL.
- 2013 AIDS Malignancy Consortium Fall Meeting, Bethesda, MD
- 2013 CFAR/SCCC AIDS Malignancies Symposium, Miami, FL.
- 2012 Life Technologies Hepatocyte Expert Program, San Diego, CA.
- 2011 Viral Hepatitis Interest Group, NIH, Bethesda, MD.
- 2010 The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, Institute for Drug Safety Sciences, Research Triangle
Park, NC. Host: Paul Watkins.
- 2010 Pharmacogenetics and Hepatitis C Meeting Participants, Panel Member, Mclean, VA